Re: [ NT SECURITY ALERT ] New Local GetAdmin Exploit

From: Vadim Fedukovich (vfat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 01:37:43 PDT

    > On      Mon, 27 Jul 1998, MJE wrote:
    > >THE EXPLOIT, IN A NUTSHELL: by using existing Windows NT services, an
    > >application can locate a certain API call in memory, modify the instructions
    > >in a running instance, and gain debug-level access to the system, where it
    > >then grants the currently logged-in user complete membership to the
    > >Administrators group in the local user database.
    > >modify the instructions in a running instance
    >
    > First problem: why are we allowed to modify a shared resource
    > (even a local copy of it) even as mortals?  WARNING: Don't put
    > business logic in DLL's (and definitely do NOT export your
    > "BOOL bIsALegalTransaction(...)" type functions).

    Here's another one interesting target: private keys. Lots of people
    asks howto compile SSLeay on NT to get DLLs. Personally I'm a fan of
    SSLeay running on unixes but here will be plenty of exploits to leak
    private keys if OS allows modifications like that.

    >   * Locates the memory address of a particular API function
    >    used by the DebugActiveProcess function.
    >
    > So WindowsNT leaves a piece of memory wide open to reading and
    > writing that doesn't even contain _my_ data and then, in a context
    > of privilege, starts relying on code in that data range to execute
    > as designed?!  Oversight or _deep_ design flaw?

    I wonder, does NT allow to debug it's own crypto engine?

    > --
    > "Windows NT 4.0 is 16.5 million lines of code that will never be debugged."
    >   -Bill Joy

    Vadim Fedukovich