Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: Jason Thorpe (thorpejat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 10:51:12 PDT

    On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:21:20 -0400
     "Perry E. Metzger" <perryat_private> wrote:

     > Personally, I find the constant claims that OpenBSD is more secure
     > than FreeBSD and NetBSD annoying. We all do extensive security
     > work. This is just another example of a fairly common situation -- in
     > which OpenBSD has a bug that other BSDs don't. Sometimes it is the
     > other way around, too, but you'd think from the propaganda that it was
     > always, or even usually, OpenBSD that was the most secure system.

    I'd also like to point out that the OpenBSD "fix" for the problem is
    incorrect.

    It is now possible for the OpenBSD read and write system calls to return
    garbage "bytes actually transfered" values.

    Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpejat_private
    Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942