Re: Fwd: Any user can panic OpenBSD machine

From: Todd C. Miller (Todd.Millerat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 16:02:24 PDT

    In message <199807281751.KAA09455at_private>
            so spake Jason Thorpe (thorpej):

    > I'd also like to point out that the OpenBSD "fix" for the problem is
    > incorrect.
    >
    > It is now possible for the OpenBSD read and write system calls to return
    > garbage "bytes actually transfered" values.

    Not as of this afternoon ;-)  Personally, I think it's pretty stupid
    that the return values for read/write are not large enough to encode
    their size param.  Actually, XPG does not prohibit the use of nbytes
    > SSIZE_MAX, but that will hose people who check for a failed system
    call by chaning against "< 0" instead of "== -1".  What the "right"
    thing to do here is largely a matter of opinion as I've seen no
    standards doc that really specifies this (feel free to correct me).

     - todd