Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS98-008)

From: Brett Glass (brettat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 17:38:01 PDT

    InfoWorld, at http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?980728.ehbugs.htm,
    claims that the MIME filename overflow exploit affects Eudora. Is this correct?
    This is the first I've heard of that mailer being vulnerable.

    After seeing the QPopper holes and at least two bugs in Eudora that appear to be due to
    buffer overruns, I'm willing to believe that Qualcomm has a general problem with
    code quality, especially vis-a-vis safe string coding. But has Qualcomm stated
    "yea" or "nay" on this? Or has anyone actually crashed Eudora via this bug?

    --Brett