Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS98-008)

From: Brett Glass (brettat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 18:05:37 PDT

    Here's a follow-on: there may be trouble with Eudora, too. I just created a message with a file attachment and sent it to myself. I then edited my mail file on the UNIX server that handles my mail, replacing the file name with about 520 characters' worth of "1234567890".

    I then polled the server with Eudora Pro 4.0.1. When the message came in, it was garbled and the MIME header with the gigantic file name appeared in the body of the message when it should not have done so. The huge file name was displayed next to an icon, but clicking on the icon did not bring up the attached file; it generated an error message instead. I deleted the message, and the attachment was not deleted with it as it should have been.

    I continued to use the mail client, and shortly thereafter it GP faulted.

    Looks like Qualcomm's coders have been sloppy yet again.

    How's about we get together a procmail.rc to kill the long file names?

    --Brett