Re: Yahoo Pager auto-update

From: Sergiy Zhuk (serge@YAHOO-INC.COM)
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 16:51:25 PDT

    hi

    On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Ralf Rudolph wrote:

    > Today, when I started the yahoo pager, it automatically downloaded
    > executable files from http://pager.yahoo.com/pager/download/ (files
    > ypager.ex_, d23-fw.dl_, myyahoo.dl_ and possibly others) and installed
    > them without asking me. AFTER the upgrade, a message "Application
    > successfully upgraded!" was displayed.

    well, according to our engineers, Yahoo Pager doesn't update its binaries
    automatically, you'll be asked to confirm the update.
    But the updater itself *will* be updated automatically w/o your confirmation
    which is not a Good Thing.

    They are aware of it and they're trying to fix it.

    Simple user confirmation doesn't protect your files anyway.
    One should probably check the integrity of files or/and sign them somehow.

    > btw: The yahoo pager is only one example: Many software vendors offer
    > online upgrades. It just sounds like a bad idea to me to allow this

    yes, Symantec, for example...

    rgds,
    serge

    --