Re: Yahoo Pager auto-update

From: Chris Wedgwood (chrisat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 15:17:06 PDT

    On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 04:51:25PM -0700, Sergiy Zhuk wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Ralf Rudolph wrote:
    >
    > > btw: The yahoo pager is only one example: Many software vendors offer
    > > online upgrades. It just sounds like a bad idea to me to allow this
    >
    > yes, Symantec, for example...

    Actually, form the point of view of having to look after thousands of
    lusers with a combined IQ on 9, automatic upgrades are incredibly
    attractive. I would estimate that fewer than 50% of modern 'net users
    are incapable of saving a file to the desktop and then executing it,
    without considerably hand holding - let alone trying to verify it is
    indeed the correct file.

    If downloaded updates can be verifying using a key/certificate that
    originally came with the ship physical media, then for many
    non-technical people this is a safer and superior solution that
    manually downloading and installing updates for the simple reason
    that many non-technical people can easily be duped into downloading
    and installing bogus or trojan software.

    -cw