Re: A way to prevent buffer overflow exploits? (was: "Any user

From: Olaf Seibert (rhialtoat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 03:23:38 PDT

    Crispin Cowan <crispinat_private> wrote:
    > > On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Cy Schubert wrote:
    > >
    > > > What makes MVS (and VM) so impervious to attack is that the S/390
    > > > hardware doesn't rely on a stack, making effective buffer overruns
    > > > considerably more difficult.  (A little off topic :)
    >
    > More specifically, the 360/370/390 architecture writes the return address
    > into the code space just ahead of the function entry point.  Poof:  no stack
    > :-), and no recursion :-(

    But typically, due to the most feared word of S/360 programmers
    (adressability), the local variables are stored in between the functions
    of the programs (at least with CMS they are, and I assume IBM's calling
    conventions are the same with all S/360 OSes). So you can't
    write-protect the code segment, and a buffer overrun can overwrite code.
    This sounds pretty serious to me. I await the first CMS or MVS buffer
    overrun exploit.

    Of course nobody prohibits any program to use its own calling conventions
    (including a stack or two) internally.

    -Olaf.
    --
    ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                D787B44DFC896063 4CBB95A5BD1DAA96
    \X/ * You are not expected to understand this.    rhialtoat_private