Re: Object tag crashes Internet Explorer 4.0

From: Paul Leach (paulleat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 13:24:34 PDT

    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: Joe [mailto:joeat_private]
    > Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 1998 2:32 PM
    >
    > On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Paul Leach wrote:
    >
    > <RANT>
    >
    > Oh give me a break.

    OK. I was not paying close enough attention to this case:
    --------------cut here-------------------------
    <HTML>
    <title>It shut down your IE 4.0</title>
    <OBJECT CLASSID=#></OBJECT>
    </HTML>
    --------------and here------------------------
    As far as I can tell with my limited knowlege of HTML, it's plain old
    invalid input and should have been detected. If that's what provoked your
    rant, that part of it was justified.

    Now, give me a break -- web pages in general are Turing complete, and it is
    not possible to validate, for all such pages, that they don't recurse
    infinitely, even though it is possible in many special cases.

    When they do recurse past the maximum stack depth, IE flashes the screen and
    reappears, having lost knowledge of the last pages you've visited, in every
    case I've seen personally or had reported.

    Paul