Re: Eudora executes (Java) URL

From: John D. Hardin (jhardinat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 09:51:11 PDT

    On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, High Tide wrote:

    > This RE does exit, it's just exponental.
    >
    > I would've sent this back to bugtraq, but I haven't read far enough to
    > know how to fix the regex.

    Yeah. The backtracking feature was pointed out to me, along with the fact
    that you can turn it off in Perl 5.005 but not in 5.004.

    I played around with it a bit, discovered that I had the problem too but
    wasn't seeing it due to the carefully-selected test data I was using, and
    changed the RE to a slightly less elegant form which does exit quickly.

    --
     John Hardin KA7OHZ                               jhardinat_private
     pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5