Re: Sendmail up to 8.9.1 - mail.local instroduces new class of

From: Scott Stone (sstoneat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 17:35:12 PDT

    On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Jeremiah Rothschild wrote:

    > I run sendmail suid/sgid mail..  Therefore, if hacked, the worst situation
    > would be losing mail spools.  Doing this has been nicely documented..
    >
    > Anyone interested should check out www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/sendmail.html

    On a related note, sendmail 8.9.0 has its mail.local setuid by default as
    well.

    > # ip
    >
    > On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Michal Zalewski wrote:
    >
    > > It's stupid to make any part of sendmail package setuid. It's really
    > > possible to make sendmail work with no setuid nor setgid, by arranging
    > > proper communication with sendmail daemon, if running. Also, I suggest to
    > > be at least careful with new features of recent Sendmail version :-)

    Scott M. Stone <sstoneat_private, sstoneat_private>
                   <sstoneat_private>
    Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
    Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)
    http://www.pht.com              http://armadillo.pht.co.jp
    http://www.pht.co.jp            http://www.turbolinux.com