Re: YA Apache DoS attack

From: Marc Slemko (marcsat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 21:10:52 PDT

    On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Scott Burke wrote:

    > Kovacs Andrei wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Dag-Erling Coidan [ISO-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:
    > >
    > >         Today when I was looking at the Apache 1.3.1 help files i've
    > > found a
    > > parameter that might stop this: "RLimitMem". I guess this should make
    > > Apache
    > > use only the amount of memory that you want to.
    > >
    > >         Andy
    >
    >    That will limit the amount of memory consumed by Apache itself, which
    > will
    > save your whole system from being DoS'd, but the server itself will
    > still be
    > able to be DoS'd. That merely compartmentalizes the damage :)

    No, this will not do anything against this attack.

    The RLimit* directives only impact the amount of memory used by other
    processes (eg. CGIs) that Apache spawns.

    As I originally posted, if you want to prevent Apache from eating memory
    simply set the appropriate ulimit before starting Apache.

    It isn't a denial of service attack if there is no denial of service.  If
    you have the appropriate ulimits, then on many machine a single attack
    will not deny any service.  Then it becomes a game of sending multiple
    ones at the same time, etc.