Explorer & ActiveX

From: Adam Shostack (adamat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 14:32:43 PDT

            In light of the Eudora vulnerability, it probably occured to
    people to take control of the 'My Computer' zone in IE4.  The
    following is based on a bit of toying with regmon and IE4 on NT.
    NTregmon, for those of you who don't know it, is a utility from the
    sysinternals.com folks to watch registry activity.  Most useful.

            I've confirmed that enough of these work on my system to have
    confidence in it.  YMMV.

            For IE4, the zones and security settings for
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Zones\ are as follows:

       Zone    0   My computer
               1   Intranet
               2   Trusted Sites
               3   Internet
               4   restricted Sites

       Values
           For Enabled/Disabled/Prompt
               0x0 Enabled
               0x1 Prompt
               0x3 Disabled
               # 0x2 is unknown

      Keys under \...\Internet Settings\Zones\(Zone)
           ActiveX controls and Plugins Section
               1004    "Download unsigned ActiveX controls"
               1405    "Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting"
               1201    "Initialize and script activeX controls not
                           marketed as safe"
               1001    "Download signed ActiveX controls"
               1200    "Run ActiveX controls and plugins"
           User Authentication Section
               1A00    Logon
                       0x10000 Prompt
                       0x0     Automatic
                       0x20000 Automatic in intranet
                       0x30000 Anonymous login
           Downloads
               1604    Font Download
               1803    File Download
           Java
               1C00    Java Permissions
                    0x30000       Low
                    0x20000       medium
                    0x10000       high
                    0x80000       Custom
                    0x0           disable
                    # Custom is not sub-enumerated here.

           Miscellaneous
               1E05    Software Channel Permissions
                       Low, medium, high per Java Permissions
               1804    Launching applications and files in an IFRAME
               1800    Installation of Desktop Items
               1601    Submit non-encrypted form data
               1802    drag and drop or copy and paste files
                       All use Prompt, enable, disable standard
           Scripting
               1402    Scripting of Java applets
               1400    Active Scripting
                       Both use Prompt, enable, disable standard