Re: Screen tmp race temp fix

From: Philip Guenther (guentherat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 22:42:40 PDT

    David Luyer <luyerat_private> writes:
    >Now you've just opened up the nonsuid screen can't set tty permissions problem.

    Only on OSes that use BSD ttys.  The sysV style pts clone device does
    not suffer from this as the chowning and chmoding is done for you via a
    suid helper program called from the grantpt() routine.

    >A more minor problem is that screen can't read the shadowed password file if
    >there is one and when someone locks the screen and walks away, they might not
    >realise that this copy of screen is non-SUID so it sits there asking them
    >what password to use.

    I just checked the source, and if it can't get the password via
    getpwnam and getspnam fails, then it just asks for one when you lock
    the screen.

    The deficiency that you forgot was the inability of screen to update
    utmp on OSes where utmp isn't world writable (good!) and that don't
    have some libc routine that calls a setuid root program to do the
    update for the program.

    The result is that screen is crippled or insecure when not setuid on
    BSDish systems, while it gets by pretty well on sysVish ones.  I run it
    here under Solaris 2.5 and 2.6 without it being setuid and without any
    loss of functionality, except the lock password, and that's what xlock
    is for.

    The one other place I can think of in screen which really deserves a
    going over is the client-server protocol code: if someone can open the
    screen socket/pipe, can they crash the server or exploit a buffer
    overflow?

    Philip Guenther

    Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
    Internet: guentherat_private      Voicenet: (507) 933-7596
    Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498