Re: [NTSEC] CPU 100% Update (fwd)

From: Alfred Huger (ahugerat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 20 1998 - 01:11:14 PDT

    On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Aleph One wrote:

    > Finally, on the issue of NT DNS. There was a security advisory sent out
    > by Secure Computing indicating that NT DNS could be exploited by sending

    The advisory was released by Secure Networks Inc. *Not* Secure Computing.

    > results were that between DNS.EXE and SERVICES.EXE the CPU utilization
    > was pegged at 100%.

    The issue we released an advisory on was the NT DNS server choking and
    dying when it recieved a response for a query it never issued. The patch
    provided does not work.

    > these problems, but I should warn you that this is not a supported fix

    Yep, it is in fact an usupported patch.

    > Given that DNS is one of the things that must be left open, the fact
    > that it resolves the CPU 100% utilization problem from Telnet
    > connections makes it a good fix in my book. I leave it to you to decide
    > if you want to apply it or not. As yet, I have not seen a version for
    > Alphas.

    While the patch does not work for what *we* reported, it did seem to fix
    the 100% CPU usage problem. Cold comfort considering anyone, anywhere on
    the Internet can easilly *remove* your DNS server.

    Alfred Huger                                            Phone: 403.262.9211
    Secure Networks Inc.                                    Fax: 403.262.9221
    "Sit down before facts as a little child , be prepared to give up every
    preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and whatever abysses nature
    leads, or you will learn nothing" - Thomas H. Huxley