Re: Webmail.bellsouth.net security problems

From: Marc Slemko (marcsat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 16:46:41 PDT

    On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Leonid S. Knyshov wrote:

    > Dear Bugtraq readers and security at Bellsouth
    >
    > Upon examining my log files, I came across an interesting fact.
    >
    > Background:
    > As part of my Internet marketing efforts, I read web log files daily to
    > see if anything interesting comes up.

    Yes, this basic issue has been posted several times to bugtraq in the
    past six months or so.

    It applies to most web based mail services.  The basic problem is that the
    URL of a page is _not_ treated as confidential information by the client
    and must not be used as such.  It can be exposed from many places; eg.
    insecure logs of a proxy, referer header, user's history (use a public
    access terminal to check your mail, log out, assuming the service doesn't
    invalidate the session if you logout "properly", someone can walk up and
    use your account), etc.

    This is one of the situations where cookies are actually one of the better
    solutions.  HTTP authentication is even better, but many people dislike it
    because they can't control the login prompt and due to how it can be
    cached by the client.

    > Just today I was reading my logs this way: grep welcome.html access.log
    >
    > And among others there was this entry:
    >
    > *.*.*.* - - [25/Aug/1998:07:28:02 -0700] "GET /welcome.html HTTP/1.0" 20
    > 0 4427
    > "http://webmail.bellsouth.net/WebEmail?FormName=ReadMail&WebMail-Action=W
    > ebMail-MessageContent&WebMail-MsgNdx=3&WebMail-St=&WebMail-MailBox=INBOX&SEQ=Xnn
    > -43_tE0_PB9GePBFs8txjXohB-IdE&WebMail-MsgCount=69&locale=en&ver=2.0.0&dyn="
    > "Moz
    > illa/3.02Gold (WinNT; I)"
    >
    > Naturally that sparked my interest, so I went to that exact same URL. I
    > was greeted with a message that 2 hours passed and I am logged off, but
    > that's not a good thing.
    >
    > Concerns:
    > Bellsouth.net webmail customers accounts may be easily abused

    Not necessarily.

    The typical system will only allow access from the same IP address, so if
    someone tries to access it from a different IP address, it won't work.

    Some (eg. eudoramail) allow access to the whole /24 (or something
    resembling that), presumably to deal with proxies.

    Now the problem arises with proxies: what if you are coming through a
    proxy?  What if someone else can come through the same proxy?  Then they
    can access your mailbox.

    And, of course, you can think of a million variations using javascript to
    get them to follow the link but that gets boring.