Webmail.bellsouth.net security problems

From: Leonid S. Knyshov (wiseleoat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 15:39:11 PDT

    Dear Bugtraq readers and security at Bellsouth

    Upon examining my log files, I came across an interesting fact.

    Background:
    As part of my Internet marketing efforts, I read web log files daily to
    see if anything interesting comes up.

    Just today I was reading my logs this way: grep welcome.html access.log

    And among others there was this entry:

    *.*.*.* - - [25/Aug/1998:07:28:02 -0700] "GET /welcome.html HTTP/1.0" 20
    0 4427
    "http://webmail.bellsouth.net/WebEmail?FormName=ReadMail&WebMail-Action=W
    ebMail-MessageContent&WebMail-MsgNdx=3&WebMail-St=&WebMail-MailBox=INBOX&SEQ=Xnn
    -43_tE0_PB9GePBFs8txjXohB-IdE&WebMail-MsgCount=69&locale=en&ver=2.0.0&dyn="
    "Moz
    illa/3.02Gold (WinNT; I)"

    Naturally that sparked my interest, so I went to that exact same URL. I
    was greeted with a message that 2 hours passed and I am logged off, but
    that's not a good thing.

    Concerns:
    Bellsouth.net webmail customers accounts may be easily abused

    Investigation:
    Just created an account to check out features,
    POP3 access without additional authentication I presume
    Oh my God... There is a tab "Personal Info" *gasp*...
    Address, phone number, place of work, etc.

    Obviously this is unacceptable. Incredibly easy to bypass security.

    One attack would be:
    to: unsuspecting_userat_private
    subject: check out my site!

    Hey buddy, check out my site! http://www.crashproofpc.com

    If they click they send me their UNLOCKED mailibox location via
    HTTP_REFERER, and if I have access to log files, I can easily get into
    that account and cause a great deal of trouble. I won't go into any
    further details :)
    --
    Leonid S. Knyshov
    Information Technology Consultant