Re: Webmail.bellsouth.net security problems

From: Kragen (kragenat_private)
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 19:26:19 PDT

    On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:
    > This is one of the situations where cookies are actually one of the better
    > solutions.  HTTP authentication is even better, but many people dislike it
    > because they can't control the login prompt and due to how it can be
    > cached by the client.

    Well, when I set up a webmail thing on my machine using HTTP Basic
    authentication, I created a special page (logout.html) which simply
    returned a "not authorized" response for the webmail realm, no matter
    what the request was.  This would pop up another username/password
    prompt, which the user could cancel.  After that -- at least with
    Netscape -- they would have to re-enter their username and password
    before accessing anything that required authentication.

    I'm not clear that this behavior is required by the standard.

    Kragen

    --
    <kragenat_private>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
    We are forming cells within a global brain and we are excited that we might