Re: Security Hole in Axent ESM

From: Larry Bassett (lbassettat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 04:41:12 PDT

    Your point about checksums is well taken.  We were externally audited and
    the auditors used Axent ESM.  The Axent ESM is not what I would call a
    great security assessment tool.  It is brain dead in a few places.

    It will complain about files and directories that have more secure
    permissions since it only checks to see if files have the permissions it is
    expecting.  It also  complains about the files it installs.

    It complained about uninstalled patches.  In our case this was completely
    ridiculous because we already had newer revisions of the patches than the
    ones they suggested we install.

    It complained about an HP printer device being world writable.  This
    complaint was pointless since these device files are functionally
    equivalent to /dev/null.

    It complained that a umask of 022 was unsafe.  They suggested 027.

    There were other questionable findings but it will find misconfigurations
    and stupid mistakes.  However, there are better tools available.

    >My boss bought Axent ESM and wants me to install it.  Before installing
    it,I noticed it relies on CRC checksums as the mechanism to validate the
    integrity of the files.  This appears to be a major security NO-NO, and
    even old freeware security packages like Tripwire use stronger algorithms.
    ...snip...

    I talked with our Axent contact and he claimed that their file integrity
    validation could not be compromised by a hacker because Axent has security
    experts that designed ESM.

    Trust nobody!

    ...snip...

    Larry W. Bassett                                Direct: 724-742-RISK (7475)
    Data Security Administrator                     Main:   724-742-4444
    FORE Systems Inc.                               Fax:    724-742-7421
    3000 FORE Drive                                 URL:    http://www.fore.com
    Warrendale, PA  15086-7594                      Email:  lbassettat_private