Re: News DoS using sendsys

From: Don Lewis (Don.Lewisat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 16:05:51 PDT

    On Aug 27,  9:32am, David Shaw wrote:
    } Subject: Re: News DoS using sendsys
    } On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 03:52:58PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
    } > There are several possible solutions at different levels of complexity.
    } >
    } > First, please make sure that your control.ctl file or the equivalent has a
    } > line like:
    } >
    } >         sendsys:*:*:drop
    }
    } While you're at it, it might be worth adding:
    }
    }         senduuname:*:*:drop
    }         version:*:*:drop
    }
    } I suspect that once everyone configures their server to stop responding to
    } sendsys, the bombers will switch to senduuname and version.  I have
    } already seen a hundred "version" requests come in.  Neither version nor
    } senduuname are relevant to the overwhelming majority of INN installations
    } out there.

    Yup, they've already switched.  There's still a lot of overhead even if
    you configure "drop".  Here's something that I found in news.admin.technical
    that is relevant for INN users: