News DoS using sendsys

From: Walter Hafner (hafnerat_private-MUENCHEN.DE)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 02:50:15 PDT

    I think we (a local ISP in Augsburg/Germany ...) are hit by an DoS that
    wasn't described here before:

    Our newsserver (INN) all of a sudden gets several 100 'sendsys' requests
    per day. The addresses of the people requesting the sendsys seem to be
    completely random. They all seem to be normal user-accounts. We see
    these sendsys requests for about a week now.

    Since our INN is configured to report all 'unusual' control messages to
    the news-administrators, rather than to execute it, the DoS doesn't hurt
    us very much. My Mailfolder now usually looks like:

      N  2   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (74)   sendsys by ktakamuraat_private
      N  3   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (53)   sendsys by ritchieat_private
      N  4   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (64)   sendsys by ritchieat_private
      N  5   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (64)   sendsys by flaaggat_private
      N  6   Aug 26 News Subsystem     (66)   sendsys by ktakamuraat_private

    The body of the mails look like:

    jf enbg kg
    wwt ncoy psb
    bdoo ldb jg
    aqk gsic jnsy
    td mvdo gvui
    mt uhlq pab
    nicw vvk knb
    kqqu ippi htji
    bsp vpq hdm
    [...]

    I didn't bother to check the validity of the addresses (note the double
    addresses).

    I can imagine two impacts on small ISP's:

    - the lines of the ISP can get overloaded (if you're a small ISP like we
    are, and have only very limited bandwidth, this can be an issue)
    - If you have only limited resources and use one machine to do Mail and
    News, this machine will slow down considerably. Furthermore, your
    spooling partition could overflow (if it is handling News _and_ Mail)
    and throttle the INN.

    Fortunately, this DoS is very easy to stop: Just make sure, that the
    Newsserver doesn't reply to a 'sendsys' automatically.

    -Walter

    --
    Walter Hafner_______________________________ hafnerat_private
          <A href=http://www.in.tum.de/~hafner/>*CLICK*</A>