Re: Security Hole in Axent ESM

From: Paul Ashton (paulat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 11:13:34 PDT

    sjacksonat_private said:
    > We at AXENT recognized that this methodology was not as secure as desired.
    > We have enhanced the communications security between servers and clients to
    > utilize a Diffie-Helman key for the session,

    Could you tell us exactly how you verify that you are talking to an
    authentic server or client? Anyone can have exchange a key with DH to
    have a secure conversation with someone, but if you cannot verify that
    that someone is who you intend it to be, then it is prone to a simple
    man in the middle attack. With ESM's ability to update both the client
    and the server with either corrected configurations or updated
    policies, it is critically important that there exists strong
    *authentication* as well as strong *communication*.

    > combined with encrypting every
    > packet across the wire using DESX encryption.  This has been available since
    > ESM 4.5 shipped in March of 1998.

    Did ESM 4.5 ship? I thought it was only ever early-released?

    Paul