Re: Security Hole in Axent ESM

From: Bert Driehuis (bert_driehuisat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 13:44:12 PDT

    On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Mark (Mookie) wrote:

    > >ESM does not only look at CRC's to verify if a file is genuine.  It also looks
    > >at the timestamps; both the m-time and the c-time.  m-times are easy to change,
    > >c-times are a lot harder and leave a trace.

    [snip]

    > This doesn't leave a trace. There are numerous other programs to completely
    > replace all timestamps as normal, undetected. Technology has come a long way
    > since the above was written.

    This is why BSD/OS since version 3.0 disallows setting the clock
    backwards when running at normal securelevel. I think more operating
    systems need that feature. Subverting timestamps in this environments
    becomes much harder.

    Cheers,

                                            -- Bert

    Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuisat_private -- +31-20-3116119
    The grand leap of the whale up the Fall of Niagara is esteemed, by all
    who have seen it, as one of the finest spectacles in nature.
                    -- Benjamin Franklin.