[SECURITY] Seyon is vulnerable to a root exploit

From: Martin Schulze (joeyat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 17:48:14 PDT

    --5xSkJheCpeK0RUEJ

    Description
    -----------

        We have received a report from SGI that a vulnerability has been
        discovered in the seyon program.  This can lead to a root
        compromise.  Any user who can execute the seyon program can
        exploit this vulnerability.

        Since SGI does not provide exploit information, we are unable to
        fix the problem.  SGI provided such information only to recognized
        security response/incident/coordination organizations and bugtraq
        doesn't seem to be accepted.  SGI doesn't develop patches to third
        party products, thus there is no chance for a quick fix.

    Vulnerability
    -------------

        Since a root compromise needs an executable that runs as root we
        tend to belive that this needs a setuid seyon.  The Seyon package
        as provided with Debian GNU/Linux does *not* run setuid root.

        Thus we doubt that the seyon package as provided with Debian
        GNU/Linux can be used to exploit root if you don't change the
        default behaviour.

    --=20
    Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!

    --5xSkJheCpeK0RUEJ

    --5xSkJheCpeK0RUEJ--