Update on Linux unfsd

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 03:06:15 PDT

    Hi everybody,

    heres an update on the Linux unfsd hole. The problem (as most may
    have found out by now looking at the diffs) was a buffer overrun in
    the code that was supposed to log failed mount attempts :-/

    This means, the bug can be exploited even if your client is not listed
    in the exports file.

    In the meantime, I have released a fixed version. It's available from
    linux.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de in /pub/linux/people/okir, the file's
    called nfs-server-2.2beta36.tar.gz.

    I had previously released 2.2beta35, but shortly after I uploaded it
    a bug was found in the handling of some mount requests.

    Note that the upgrade RPM for Caldera OpenLinux is nfs-server-2.2beta35-2,
    available from ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/OpenLinux/updates/1.2.
    Despite the 35 in the name, it has the aforementioned mount problem
    fixed.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax