Another Cisco PIX Firewall Vulnerability

From: Brett Oliphant (Brett_M_Oliphant/Lafayette_Lifeat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 05:47:42 PDT

    Overview:
         Cisco's management software for the PIX Firewall does not perform
    proper checking of urls.  The compromise is any file on the management
    server can be viewed with a web browser.  This could lead to other more
    educated attacks against the network.

    Who is Affected?:
         Any site that allows anybody to build a connection to port 8080 of the
    PIX Firewall Management server.  It is not uncommon for sites to have a
    conduit open through the firewall to reach this box, for the purpose of
    remote administration.  I doubt this setup is recommended, but it does
    happen.

    Details of Exploit:
         The exact details of the exploit will be withheld until Cisco releases
    the official advisory, which should be in a few days.

    Fix:
         They have confirmed this bug to exist, yet have not informed me their
    plan of attack.  A simple temporary solution for this would be if a conduit
    does exist from the outside world to the server - remove it.  Secondly,
    only run the Cisco Management service when you plan on doing configuration
    changes.  Which if you can, the second idea is not a bad one to live by
    even after Cisco releases a fix.

    Brett Oliphant
    Manager - Corporate Computer Security
    Lafayette Life Insurance Company