More Overflows...

From: HD Moore (hdmooreat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 01:29:01 PDT

    After gong over the recent posts concerning the overflows present in
    minicom, nslookup, etc, I decided to see what else is vulnerable on my
    system.  I am running SuSe 5.2 with 64 Mb of EDO RAM and kernel 2.0.35.
    Heres what i found...

    smbclient        version:  1.9.18p3    Overflow occurs after 8505
    characters
    compress        version:  4.2.4          Overflow at 1100 characters
    elvis                version:  2.0              Lots of fun quirks over
    1000-100000; maybe an exploit symlinking with tmp's
    lha                   version:  1.02            Overflow at  >19211

    There are many more but im too tired to document them, if you have any
    questions, I can be reached at hdmooreat_private
    The  major concern i have is non-priveledged users trashing system files
    with suid apps, please check ALL your suid's for overflows...Anyways,
    Thrill Kill rocked and im beat and bloody from the pit, so goodnight.