Re: More Overflows...

From: Marc Heuse (marcat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 00:42:35 PDT

    Hi,

    > smbclient        version:  1.9.18p3    Overflow occurs after 8505 characters
    > compress         version:  4.2.4       Overflow at 1100 characters
    > elvis            version:  2.0         Lots of fun quirks over 1000-100000;
    >                                        maybe an exploit symlinking with tmp's
    > lha              version:  1.02            Overflow at  >19211

    none of these applications is s[ug]id, so these overflows can not be
    exploited to gain privilige.

    about the symlink attack on elvis-2.0:

    /* unix/osprg.c */
    char id_osprg[] = "$Id: osprg.c,v 2.9 1996/05/23 00:03:51 steve Exp $";
    #define TMPDIR  (o_directory ? tochar8(o_directory) : "/tmp")
    static char     tempfname[100]; /* name of temp file */

                    /* create a temporary file for feeding the program's stdin*/
                    sprintf(tempfname, "%s/elvis%d.tmp", TMPDIR, (int)getpid());
                    writefd = open(tempfname, O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0600);
                    if (writefd < 0)
                    {
                            msg(MSG_ERROR, "can't make temporary file");
                            free(command);
                            return False;
                    }

    it's not vulnerable

    > There are many more but im too tired to document them, if you have any
    > questions, I can be reached at hdmooreat_private

    if some of them can really be used to gain more priviliges on the machine or
    result in a denial-of-service, email them to securityat_private please

    > The  major concern i have is non-priveledged users trashing system files
    > with suid apps, please check ALL your suid's for overflows...Anyways,
    > Thrill Kill rocked and im beat and bloody from the pit, so goodnight.

    well, if you find any, drop me a note.

    Greets,
            Marc
    --
      Marc Heuse, S.u.S.E. GmbH, Fahrradstr. 56, D-90429 Nuernberg
      E@mail: marcat_private   Function: Security Support & Auditing