Re: NT4-SP3 Sequence Prediction

From: nateat_private
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 11:31:37 PDT

    On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Roy Hills wrote:
    > By contrast, the "one-per-millisecond" sequence shown by NT 4 SP3
    > increases the initial TCP sequence number by one every millisecond.
    > I think that this would be very difficult to exploit remotely
    > because the latency variations over an Internet connection are
    > generally much greater than a millisecond.  I guess that it may
    > be possible to exploit over a LAN connection, but even then, I doubt
    > that it would be easy.

    It is very easy.  Assume that you have a standard deviation of 3 in the
    sequence every 10 ms (Ivan Arce measured a stdev of 2.6942).  This means
    that a single guessed sequence of 499, 500, or 501 has a ~68% (1 stdev)
    chance of being correct. Assuming you are guessing one every 10 ms, it
    would only take 3 tries (30 ms) for you to have a better than 90% chance
    of succeeding.

    The lesson is that low individual event probability doesn't mean much
    when you can repeat the attempt millions of times.  With today's higher-
    speed networks, the rare becomes commonplace.  A "collision" of DES-encrypted
    network traffic (with its 64 bit block size) will occur within a couple minutes
    on a 1gb/sec link.

    Ivan Arce wrote:
    >mean <  499.92>  standard deviation (square) <  7.2588>

    That is the variance, s^2. (Perhaps you meant this by (square)).
    The standard deviation is s < 2.6942.  Also, in situations like this, it
    would be best to use the step function since sequence numbers can only
    be integer values.

    -Nate