Re: Incorrect Linux ARP behavior (double pings)

From: PJ (pjordan-bugtraqat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 21:08:59 PDT

    > You can detect if a box is in promiscuous mode easier if:
    >
    > Send a packet with the correct IP of the box:odd port, but the wrong ETH
    > address.  If you get an RST, the box is in promiscuous mode.  If
    > you do not, it's not.

    Once I was dialed up(1) to a terminal server(2) that was on one
    logical network and which shared a physical network with a machine(3)
    on another logical network, and the interface of the router to the
    internet was aliased to both logical networks in such a way that when
    (3) was in promiscuous mode and I pinged it from the dial up machine(1),
    I would get two for one ping responses.
            On analysing it I found that the pings were going through the terminal
    server on its logical network.. to the router.. then from the router to
    the machine on the other network.  When in promiscuous mode (3) would
    pick up on the IP address from the packet going to the router as well
    as from the packet coming from the router to it(3).

    It was hard to figure out at first cause I was using tcpdump to try and
    figure it out :)
            A reboot and it was single pinging again.  Then I caught on.

    Peter
    --
    pjordan at blackwire.com        436-0829                Black Wire Media
    "The meaning of a value is determined by how it is used" : Ousterhout