Re: NMRC Advisory - Default NDS Rights

From: costello, don (don_costelloat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 13:47:30 PDT

    First of all, simply displaying login ID's or their context is not
    necessarily a security risk (millions disagree, I know, but it's not the
    real risk), provided all other aspects of the security system are in tact.
    What IS a risk is faulty passwords (ie blank, easily guessed, never expire,
    etc).  In this case, the real risk is the carelessness of the administrator,
    not a flaw with the system.

    What you're suggesting here is not really a fix, rather it is a removal of
    necessary functionality needed by "trusted" users of a Novell network.  In
    fact, Novell has said that it is widely known that, if the presence if CX or
    NLIST poses some paranoia in your environment, you should delete these
    utilities from SYS:LOGIN, not modify the rights structure of the NDS tree.
    (I happened to learn this in training but others will more than likely
    concur).  A non-logged in connection NEEDS read access to containers in
    order to set their starting context as well as walk the tree if the default
    context is not correct.  By virtue of READ being on the container, all
    objects in that container can be displayed.  It's a judgement call whether
    or not this poses any *real* threat.

    Besides, just to get access to the SYS:LOGIN directory itself is quite a
    touch trick.  Unless *all* routers along a given path are running IPX or the
    site is running Netware IP, it would take some pretty nifty talent to even
    get to the LOGIN directory.  Of course, you can never prevent the internal
    threat.

    -- dcc --
    [NDS for NT Project Manager at Novell]: "We've got some good new and some
    bad news for you:  The good news is, we don't mess with NT security.  The
    bad new is....We don't mess with NT security..."