Re: Tcpwrapper 7.6 - feature -

From: Niall Smart (rotelat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 18:22:42 PDT

    On Sep 19,  6:41pm, Gigi Sullivan wrote:
    } Subject: Tcpwrapper 7.6 - feature -

    > I wrote a very small stuff that could be usefull (I hope) to those of you
    > that are using tcpwrapper, but that doesn't run any kinda of firewall.
    > This "new" feature allow you to force the TCP layer to elict an RST
    > segment to drop a denyed connection (instead of the usual 4-"FIN"
    > segment).

    I don't see the purpose of this feature, what benefit is it supposed
    to provide?  If it's an attempt to prevent port scanning then it
    doesn't work, since by the time tcpd is invoked the 3-way handshake
    has already been completed.

    Niall

    --
    Niall Smart, rotelat_private
    Amaze your friends and annoy your enemies: