Re: NMRC Advisory - Default NDS Rights

From: M. Baker (mbakerat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 21:03:45 PDT

    Very true.

    Everyone get's [B]rowse object rights from the fact that they are included
    as a member of the [PUBLIC] trustee which covers everyone authenticated and
    those that are not. Your workaround was a little inaccurate. Just removing
    the [PUBLIC] trustee as a trustee of [Root] will remove NDS functionality
    of your users. What I suggest to most people is that they remove the
    [PUBLIC] trustee and then make [Root] a trustee of itself and then give
    [Root] Browse rights to itself. This gives users the ability to browse the
    tree, not loose any functionality. Now they have to authenticate to see the
    tree rather than just attaching.
    Hope this clears things up.

    BTW I wouldn't class this as a security problem, depending on your site you
    may want [PUBLIC] to be a trustee of [ROOT] if you don't want that do what
    I stated above.

    Michael