Locate overflow / Promiscuous mode / Posting tips

From: David J. Meltzer (davemat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 23:29:37 PDT

    The overflow in locate was reported to bugtraq at least on 3/6/98 by
    Michal Zalewski (http://www.geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1998_1/0351.html).

    It's probably also worth noting the promiscuous thread has been discussed
    numerous times before; the particular method in this thread was noted
    on comp.security.unix by Stefan Schmidt on 10/19/97, although I don't
    believe it was even new at that time (but I don't have an earlier reference).

    It might be worthwhile to the whole bugtraq community if people were to do
    at least a cursory search on a bugtraq and usenet archive, and if
    there has been relevant material to provide references to the prior
    published work and limit their comments to that which is new.

    Places to research your posts include:
    (http://www.geek-girl.com/bugtraq/search.html, http://www.dejanews.com)

    I have been guilty of this in the past, in fact I'm guilty of it right now
    as this has been said before, but maybe a friendly reminder would help
    raise the S:N ratio.

    -Dave

    "So... how much longer is this futile slashing going to continue?"
                                                 -Theo de Raadt