Re: BASH buffer overflow, LiNUX x86 exploit

From: J. Joseph Max Katz (jkatzat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 19 1998 - 22:48:46 PDT

    Hmmmmmm, locate.

    Long filenames affect locate on all platforms. One of the places
    where I contract uses locate regularly on SunOS, AIX, Solaris and
    HP/UX.  On most if not all of those platforms, locate seg faults
    on large file names.

    -Jon

    me ---> ()   () <-- Gale
           _[]_._)(_
      /^\/  |     |  \/^\   So what? ASCII can't do my car justice.
      |*||  |  O  |  ||*|   Jonathan Katz, CEO CPIO Networks, Inc.
      [o]|  |  o  |  |[o]   (408) 569-7092 [ ] jkatzat_private
      \_/ \---------/ \_/   http://www.cpio.net [ ] "offering OpenBSD
     <|=| -[58vette]- |=|>   technical support, on-site Unix and
      |=|             |=|    network security services and training."

    On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    :Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 19:14:06 -0700
    :From: Crispin Cowan <crispinat_private>
    :To: BUGTRAQat_private
    :Subject: Re: BASH buffer overflow, LiNUX x86 exploit
    :
    :While experimentin with MiG's exploit, I've discovered another
    ramification of this form of
    :vulnerability: the locate facility.  If you leave the huge directory
    tree that this exploit
    :builds lying around over night, and you have locate installed in your
    crontab (default in Red
    :Hat Linux) then it builds a locate database entry that causes the
    locate command to seg fault.
    :Result:  if root uses locate to find something (very common while
    sysadmin is trying to
    :fix/find something) then the attacker may get root privs via the locate
    command.
    :
    :Related question:  I have been unable to get MiG's exploit to work.
    I have RH 5.1 installed,
    :but I made sure to get bash 1.14.7(1) to test it.  It builds the big
    nasty directory tree, but
    :cd'ing to it as instructed just produces a seg fault.