Re: tar "features"

From: Kragen (kragenat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 26 1998 - 08:05:42 PDT

    On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Amos Hayes wrote:
    >      R     When extracting from tape, ignore leading slashes on file names,
    >            i.e., extract all files relative to the current directory.  This
    >            also applies (as of IRIX 6.2) to any links that are restored (and
    >            symbolic links if specified as RR).  When specified as RRR, all
    >            filenames (including the targets of symbolic links) are made
    >            directory relative; that is, they are extracted as ./filename.

    So a symlink to ../../../../../../../etc would extract as
    ./../../../../../../../etc, unless you use RRR?

    >            If specified as RRR, all directory information is stripped from
    >            pathnames in the archive, including the pathnames of symbolic
    >            links.  All files will be written to the current directory; no
    >            directories will be created; symbolic links will only refer to
    >            files in the current directory.

    How often does this option get used?

    It is true that one should be careful in installing software.  But many
    times I have extracted tar files that didn't contain software I was
    going to run, or that contained software I was going to inspect and
    then run later.

    Kragen

    --
    <kragenat_private>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
    The sages do not believe that making no mistakes is a blessing. They believe,