IRIX 6.2 passwordless accounts exploit?

From: Dan Stromberg (strombrgat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 15:31:28 PDT

    We've had a lot of script kiddies running an exploit against our campus,
    that checks for accounts that are passwordless by default in IRIX 6.2 -
    like 4Dgifts, EZsetup, and so on.  I've seen indications this isn't
    limited to our campus...

    This script has been generating hoardes of syslog entries like:

    Sep 27 12:43:19 foo.bar login[16310]: failed: ?@warble.frob as 4Dgifts

    Amusingly, our suns, decs and linux machines run a fake tcpmux, so we
    have lots of somewhat clueless kiddies checking for this vulnerability
    on machines of the wrong OS :).

    Anyway, can anyone make this exploit available, so I don't need to
    reinvent the wheel in order to check for this myself?  It'd probably be
    easy in python, but it'd be nice to have "the real thing", the script
    the kiddies are using themselves.

    I checked rootshell.com, queried for sgi and 4Dgifts, but nothing
    relevant popped up.

    I know, if I "were a white hat" I could check /etc/passwd (or
    /etc/shadow) myself.  It's complicated.  And I am a white hat.  Besides,
    the list is full disclosure.