Bay Accelar 1000 series

From: Steven Hearon (r700ssat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 22:43:11 PDT

    I dont know if this has been posted if so ignore it please.

        For those of you lucky people to have a Bay Accelar 1000 series
    here is something you might find interesting..

    If one enables the HTTP server (Configuration Interface) on the Bay
    Accelar 1000 series (I do not know if this is true on other
    Accelars..I have only used Accelar 1200's) anyone can attach to the
    main page of the Accelar without a password.  Not only this, but one
    can surf around a bit before being asked a password as well.  The best
    part of this is that when one tries to login and fails the system logs
    do not show it!!! (Atleast a log show doesn't).  Now since Bay likes
    to use rw, rwo, and rwa one could use a brute hacker (wwwhack, etc) to
    attempt access.  Unlike other Bay products there is no option to only
    allow certain subnets access to the HTTP server (Atleast none that I
    could find, or multiple Bay Reps I talked too knew of).  Last time I
    talked to a Bay Rep I was told that it was an issue that was being
    "looked into", so an easy solution is, do not enable the HTTP server
    on your Accelar 1000 series.  The damage that could be done is great
    (Turning off ports, redoing VLANs, etc).