Re: mountd- more info (sorry)

From: John Caldwell (jcaldat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 11:40:18 PDT

    On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, John Caldwell wrote:

    > I'm sorry i omitted this information in my first post:
    >
    > OS: Linux (Redhat 5.1)
    >
    > NFS package version: nfs-server-2.2beta29-5

    As a couple people have pointed out to me, redhat released a patch for
    this a few weeks ago.  I use autorpm to update my packages, and for some
    reason it didnt figure out that there was a new version of the nfs
    package.  That combined with the fact that when i couldnt find anything in
    the bugtraq archives for anything on mountd, I figured this was a new
    bug... oops. Theres also nothing new about a mountd exploit on rootshell,
    but somebody figured out one-- the guy who used it on my box was our
    favorite haxor the "script kiddie."  Oh well.. since nobody posted the
    original redhat errata here goes:

    http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/rh51-errata-general.html#nfs

    Package: nfs

    Updated: 28-Aug-1998

    Problem:

         (28-Aug-1998)Security Fix: Potential security problems have been
         identified in all versions of nfs-server packages shipped with Red Hat
         Linux.

         Users of Red Hat Linux are recommended to upgrade to the new packages
         available under updates directory on our ftp site.

    Solution:

         Intel: Upgrade to:
         nfs-server-2.2beta29-7.i386.rpm
         nfs-server-clients-2.2beta29-7.i386.rpm
         Alpha: Upgrade to:
         nfs-server-2.2beta29-7.alpha.rpm
         nfs-server-clients-2.2beta29-7.alpha.rpm
         SPARC: Upgrade to:
         nfs-server-2.2beta29-7.sparc.rpm
         nfs-server-clients-2.2beta29-7.sparc.rpm

    --