Announcements from The Palace (fwd)

From: Mike Holling (mykeat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 10:31:49 PDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 02:48:14 -0700
    From: The Palace <custserv3at_private>
    Subject: Announcements from The Palace

    IMPORTANT SECURITY BUG FIX FOR PALACE CLIENT SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS 95/98/NT:

    Over the September 26th weekend, Electric Communities became aware of a
    potential serious security problem with the Windows 95/98/NT Palace Client
    software. Monday we confirmed a bug that would permit a malicious Palace
    server operator to force a Windows Palace client to DOWNLOAD AND EXECUTE an
    arbitrary program on the client machine. This bug could be used to deliver
    and run software viruses, personal information sniffers, and other
    potentially damaging software. However we are not aware of any specific
    instances of malicious individuals exploiting this bug in any harmful way.

    We have confirmed that this problem does not affect the Macintosh or the
    Windows 3.1 client.

    95/98/NT PALACE CLIENT update. This update prevents Palace servers from
    attempting to execute software on the client machine, and is HIGHLY
    RECOMMENDED FOR ALL WINDOWS PALACE CLIENT USERS.  If you do not upgrade
    your client, your machine is vulnerable to this bug being exploited by
    malicious server operators.

    Visit http://www.thepalace.com/products/client/downloads.html to get the
    latest full version of the Windows Client software.

    ---
    If you are currently using version 3.4 (any build) of the palace client,
    you may instead download one of the following, smaller updates instead of
    the full installer:

    ftp://ftp.thepalace.com/pub/palace/client/Windows_95orNT/3.4/AutoUpgradeFor3.4Users.exe if you are using the latest version of 3.4 and don't have
    multiple versions installed (about 1 meg).
    ftp://ftp.thepalace.com/pub/palace/client/Windows_95orNT/3.4/ManualUpgrade.exe
    if you know where you have the palace installed, or have
    multiple installations (about 400 k).
    ---