Re: IE4 Custom Folder

From: Christopher K Davis (ckdat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 13:52:07 PDT

    David LeBlanc <dleblancat_private> writes:

    > With respect to disabling this attack on Win95, your only options are (in
    > personal order of preference):

    > 1) Install NT, precreate desktop.ini files and lock them down
    > 2) Don't share anything
    > 3) Disable active desktop

    I'm not sure #2 stops all variants of this attack; what happens if
    someone mails you a desktop.ini file, and then you go to look in your
    mailer's attachments directory?  My (untested) guess is that you lose.

    --
    Christopher Davis * <ckd-sigat_private> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
    Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>