Re: Internet Wide DOS Attack using IRC (real deal)

From: Derek Reynolds (derekat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 02 1998 - 23:50:21 PDT

    Hello Dbarba and other bugtraqers,

    Since most of you are in cluebie land about this little sploit, Let me
    inform you what is really going on..

    Ok boys and girls lets review.. First of all its a self extracting
    file which extracts a script file which is loaded via the trojans DDE
    client intern connecting to mIRC's DDE server and executing a load -rs.
    (to load the exploitable script file)

    The script which it loads does not take effect until the user restarts
    mIRC in which case the event "on start" triggers.  On start it
    connects to the predefined URL via mIRC sockets (Port 80).

    The danger with this particular script it auto loads is that
    inside the script code it contains events which automatically dcc
    send the  binary (trojan exe) to other users, which results in mass
    distribution.

    To make sure you are not exploitable, In mIRC click on the menu item "Tools"
    and then "Remote" and delete any suspicious loaded script files which
    may be present..

    Best Regards,
     Derek                            mailto:derekat_private
    myn@efnet