Re: more Netscape 4.07 javascript security

From: Peter W (peterwat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 11 1998 - 15:12:18 PDT

    On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Max Vision wrote:

    > I've found that the best interim fix is to clear your cache, and then set
    > both disk and memory cache sizes to zero.  If you don't like this then you
    > have alternatives:

    UNIX users should also consider running a local caching proxy server like
    Squid. Then you can set the browser's cache sizes to zero with minimal
    problems.  This also helps limit the amount of cache disk space needed if
    you have more than one user; no longer will each person cache their own
    set of Slashdot graphics. And obviously this would also help with all the
    cache exploit problems that have crept up from time to time with both
    Navigator and MSIE. Users already behind proxy servers (e.g. at work)
    might see only a slight performance hit for going "cacheless" though the
    proxy logs may show more activity from your workstation. That would be a
    "job security" issue then...

    -Peter

    Squid can be got from http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/