Re: Annoying Solaris/CDE/NIS+ bug

From: Frank Cusack (fcusackat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 18:03:16 PDT

    dbell <dbellat_private> writes:

    > I didn't see this, or anything similar to it in the archives, but please
    > forgive me if it's well known:
    >
    > If a Solaris 2.6 host is a NIS+ client, and any user other than root is
    > running CDE at the console, CDE's screen locking feature does not work.
    > Any random string is sufficient to unlock to console. Obviously, this is

    The bug has nothing to do with NIS+. The CDE screenlocker (dtsession)
    accepts either the user's password or the root password to unlock
    the screen.

    When root doesn't have a password, it accepts anything. A bug? hardly.
    Install a root password.

    [...]

    --
    Frank Cusack       + Today's Haiku   No keyboard present
    Icon CMT Corp.     + error message:  Hit F1 to continue