Annoying Solaris/CDE/NIS+ bug

From: dbell (dbellat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 12 1998 - 16:37:21 PDT

    I didn't see this, or anything similar to it in the archives, but please
    forgive me if it's well known:

    If a Solaris 2.6 host is a NIS+ client, and any user other than root is
    running CDE at the console, CDE's screen locking feature does not work.
    Any random string is sufficient to unlock to console. Obviously, this is
    not a root-compromise-from-the-network sort of bug, but it can be a
    problem if your machine is located somewhere physically insecure
    (university labs, for example). I made Sun aware of this a month ago, and
    there seems to be a bug ID opened by someone else even farther back (bug
    id 4115685).  This is not fixed in any current release (up through
    Hardware 5/98 w/current patches). I don't have older versions to test this
    on, but I can reproduce it running 2.6 on a variety of hardware (email me
    if you care).

    Workaround: use /usr/openwin/bin/xlock instead of CDE's screenlock, stop
    using NIS+, stop using CDE.

    --
    Daniel Bell
    Heuer's Law: Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off.