Alert: IE 4.0 Security Zone compromise

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 09:06:13 PDT

    New Internet Explorer vulnerability. As opposed to what Russ states below
    there is a new risk created by this vulnerability. The default setting for
    authentication in IE for the Medium security setting is to automatically
    logon to machines in the Intranet zone when the web server requests user
    authentication without prompting the user. Nice way for someone to go
    finishing for passwords by posting some message with an embedded URL in a
    newsgroup or mass emailing some corporation.

    Aleph One / aleph1at_private
    http://underground.org/
    KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
    Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01