Re: Breaking Finger in AIX 4.2

From: Troy A. Bollinger (troyat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 16:38:06 PDT

    Quoting aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (axon2017at_private):
    > I just found this out yesterday, and I don't think it's been in the
    > postings before, but on AIX (I tested this on 4.2) if one's gecos field
    > is set to more than 99 characters, Finger starts acting really strange.

    This is fixed with the following APARs:

      Abstract:   "HOT: CERT: possible buffer overflow in finger daemon"
      4.1.x APAR: IX67317
      4.2.x APAR: IX67318
      4.3.x APAR: not vulnerable

    IBM AIX APARs may be ordered using Electronic Fix Distribution (via the
    FixDist program), or from the IBM Support Center.  For more information
    on FixDist, and to obtain fixes via the Internet, please reference

            http://aix.software.ibm.com/support/rs6000

    or send email to "aixservat_private" with the word "FixDist" in the
    "Subject:" line.

    To facilitate ease of ordering all security related APARs for each AIX
    release, security fixes are periodically bundled into a cumulative APAR.
    For more information on these cumulative APARs including last update and
    list of individual fixes, send email to "aixservat_private" with
    the word "subscribe Security_APARs" in the "Subject:" line.

    --
    Troy Bollinger                            troyat_private
    AIX Security Development        security-alertat_private