New SMAP + SASL + SSL Patches available.

From: MacGyver (macgyverat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 20:50:33 PDT

    Hi folks,

    I've just finished putting out a new set of patches for SMAP that add in
    SASL and SSL support for SMAP.  For those that don't know...SASL is
    sometimes known as authenticated-SMTP, and basically allows you to enable
    relaying for SMAP ONLY for authenticated senders, rather than limiting it by
    hosts.  This is especially useful for those of us who are extremely mobile
    users...And SSL support...yes, you too can now use SMAP over SSL.

    Those of you that use SMAP out there probably have run into the mail relay
    issues that SMAP "exposes" you to.  There are a couple of ways to fix this
    to prevent the ever-growing spam sites from using your mail server as a
    relay point to spew more of their spam.  You can set up ACLs, essentially
    that prevent this, or you can use authenticated SMTP (officially knows as
    SASL: RFC 2222).  Fortunately the major mail clients out there (for Windows
    anyways) such as Outlook '98 and Netscape Messenger, support SASL.

    I, and half a dozen beta testers have been running these patches for a
    couple of months without any problems.  I'd love to hear any feedback from
    people about these patches.  I can be reached at macgyverat_private

    Details on my patches are available at:
    http://www.macgyver.org/software/smap-sasl.html

    Enjoy!

    MacGyver